30 November 2008

Getting my money's worth

Tim from the comments--and, I should add, from a website on the history of the old Eastern Hockey League--referred me to NewspaperArchive.com, a subscription site with a plethora of newspaper clippings for me to sift through. While I sadly cannot sift through the Herald-Dispatch or Advertiser in this site, I can sift through the Charleston Gazette and Daily Mail, and have found the fate of Charleston's ice hockey exploits: their rink, Ice Sports in Kanawha City, was converted to a roller rink in 1942 as a result of the outbreak of World War 2. The preceding season, Charleston's high schools launched an ice hockey championship, complete with a sponsored trophy--the Union Fuel Trophy.

Sadly the rechristened Barlow Roller Rink met a similar fate, burning down in February 1945, only a few months before Huntington's Iceland/Arena Gardens. Luckily, they were in a new rink by July, and continued operating as such through the 1950s.

No comments: